hello and welcome...

Hello and welcome to my blog, where I love to share a little of my life with you...I am so lucky to be a textile artist and maker...inspired by the beautiful countryside around me and by all sorts of things in my life....if you fancy a creative WORKSHOP take a look here or taking a peep at what's in my ETSY shop click here...thank you for paying me a visit today!



Saturday 21 December 2013

first...the solstice

blown in on a gale with lashing winds, and this morning thunder and lightening, Mother Nature shows us who is boss! we seem small compared to her power! I love the winter solstice...

in winter deep
comes fire to warm 
homes dressed with green
gifts all
from the earth
 
in the darkness
 new life gleams
as we turn once more
 to the light

and the best news this week...is the arrival of Rachel...after a long journey up from south lakes she arrives in style...


mm...Ned not sure about this here new donkey in HIS stable!


isn't she just gorgeous?
 




welcome dear little donkey!

our best Christmas present, a new companion for Ned, whilst we still love Gwendoline in our hearts, rather like the solstice, we welcome the new and the sense of hope Rachel brings.

and there is still Christmas to come, hope your preparations are going well...I really liked this reminder from Cheryl Richardson...and I'm trying to put it into practice...

Photo: New Holiday Rule...

I'm sitting here in our living room looking out over the falling snow, feeling grateful for the silence that occurs when we have a storm and everything is forced to stop for a while.  It's as though Mother Nature has gently placed a blanket over my part of the world and whispered, "Rest little one. Take a break from the hustle and bustle and let yourself nap for a while." Love that idea!

And I love this time of year—although it wasn't always that way. Ten years ago, after running through a mall on the day before Christmas trying to buy two last-minute gifts, I stopped in the middle of a store and said, "ENOUGH!"  Yup, right there in the shoe department, I made a promise to myself that I would change the way I did the holidays from that day forward. No more rushing. No more squeezing crowded, noisy, parties into an already full schedule. And no more angst over finding the perfect gifts. Instead I focus on two things: Being present as much as possible and doing what makes me feel connected to people. Period. 

That became my new holiday rule and for the most part I've followed it ever since. If I can't find a gift for someone special, I don't panic. I relax and allow the right gift to find me. Sometimes I've written love letters to family members or a "Top Ten Reasons Why I Adore You" list for Michael (who's always been tough to buy for). I also stopped attending events that left me feeling exhausted, overstimulated, or empty because I couldn't have a conversation deeper than the latest Hollywood scandal. 

Today I want depth. I want soulful connection. I want to be able to communicate more from my heart than my head. And I want laughter. Lots of joyful, gut-busting laughter. 

That's what I want for you, too. I want you to truly enjoy your holidays. Not because you finally got everything done or received the perfect gift, but because you actually showed up.

http://bit.ly/1dmJwqC

4 comments:

homemade@myplace said...

beautiful donkey and beautiful quote !!!!
xxxx Ale merry christmas!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I love that quote from Cheryl Richardson. And Rachel is absolutely gorgeous! Happy holidays! Tammy

Hopes Handcrafts said...

Welcome to your new home Rachel. I hope you and Ned become good friends over time. Love that poem and quote, Emma...how true!

Merry Christmas to you and yours,
from Julia in New Zealand

Lyn said...

Welcome to rachel, I am sure Gwendoline would be happy. Wishing you a very merry Christmas and a happy and healthy new year. Xxx